Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Albany Park flood water is gone!

(Our personal Albany Park flood story, complete with pictures, starts at Albany Park floods-- Record-breaking rains. )

I went to my friend's house Monday night. She has been gracious enough to allow us to shower at her home, and she fed us on Sunday night. The water had started to recede in our basement, but we still had about 18 inches to two feet of water down there when I left for her home Monday evening. A neighbor told me that he would come by with a generator when I got home and he would help us pump out the rest of the water. (My husband was working.)

But when I got home after dinner, about 9 p.m., the water was gone! I took my flashlight (as we still didn't have any electricity) and cautiously and anxiously ventured down the stairs.

The wall-to-wall carpeting was still very squishy, all kinds of stuff had just piled up in various corners to which it had floated, most of our furniture was ruined..... Obviously a huge amount of work awaited us, and things were already beginning to smell musty.

The pictures tell the story of what was left better than I ever could.







More mess pics on Flickr

( Next part of the Albany Park flood story: Depression and grief.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry this happened to you. It is hard to realize the horror unless you know someone who goes through it. I really hope things go back to "normal" soon for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ms. Mouse! This is horrible, and I can't imagine how much more horrible things must be for people in Galveston who have lost everything.

    I keep thinking of things in terms of "before the flood" and "after the flood".

    Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete