Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Second Week --

(Our personal flood story, complete with pictures, starts at Albany Park floods-- Record-breaking rains. )

It's been 10 days since the flood.

We're still camped out in my son's room. At least the DISH TV box is working.

I've been spending a couple of hours in the basement every day... that seems to be about as much as I can manage.

I bought a big super-duper dehumidifier. Somehow I got the thing down into the basement myself and hooked it up to the drain. The humidity down there is down about 15% already. Our patio is filled with saved items that have been washed down and are drying in the sun.

We have about 9 boxes of papers, photos and souvenirs that were flooded, and I'm going through them sorting and saving. My son's office room table has been filled with drying pictures. Sunday I dealt with Paul's pictures. I told Paul, "Here is your life; spread out on this table."

Last night I came across a box with my son's baby pictures and another box with all of his school reports and report cards. Most of them are salvageable, thank heavens.

Now it's time to dig up more wet clothes and go off to the laundromat.

That's the interesting thing about tragedies and disasters. The news crews are gone, no more news helicopters waking us in the morning; but the mess just goes on. And it probably will for months.

(Next part of the Albany Park Flood Story: Flood Plains and Furnaces. )

No comments:

Post a Comment