Thursday, October 16, 2008

FEMA's temporary office at Northeastern Illinois University

(Our personal Albany Park flood story, complete with pictures, starts at Albany Park flood -- Record-breaking rains. )

FEMA has opened a temporary office in the Physical Education Building at Northeastern Illinois University, Central Park and Foster, to assist people who were impacted by the Albany Park flood. The signs to the offices are well-marked, and parking is available just a few steps away.

I ventured over there on Sunday, October 12th. I found the FEMA people to be caring and helpful. I had already applied for FEMA assistance and the inspector had already been here, so I was pleased to find that we had some emergency assistance coming. I hadn't expected anything until we heard from our insurance company. One of the FEMA people told me that I should hear something from the insurance within 30 days. If I don't hear from them within the coming week, I should talk to the Illinois Insurance Commission. We also might be able to get some temporary funds if there is a hold up in getting a settlement from our insurance company.

FEMA had set up several "stations"... One to deal with aid, one to answer questions about mold remediation, a few others that I can't remember, and there were representatives from the IRS and the state of Illinois as well.

We also may be able to get some food stamps to replace spoiled food. The expiration date to apply for the emergency one-time food stamp allotment is Friday, October 17th, so I need to check into that today. My family exceeds the income guidelines for such temporary assistance, but apparently there are exceptions due to the nature of the disaster, so I will apply and see what happens.

As we still have moldy stuff in the basement, somebody also said that there may be teams of volunteers to help pull out the rest of the stuff. I will check into that as well, but this week has been a bit chaotic... Paul was in the hospital for another test, so our schedule is off.

Life is simply very taxing these days.

(The Albany Park flood home page is at at Albany Park flood blog: One family's experience. )

(Next part of the Albany Park Flood Story: Disaster Food Stamps: A Disaster. )

No comments:

Post a Comment